The Erasmus University Medical Center (EMC) is based in Rotterdam and is the largest University Medical Center in the Netherlands. There are approx. 12,000 employees (of which 1300 are researchers), 2500 medical students and each year approx. 200 PhD graduations. The Department of Surgery performs clinical/epidemiological and basic/translational research and has its foundation built upon a multi-disciplinary team of oncologists, surgeons, radiologists, nurse practitioners, geneticists and genetic counselors to upholding an exacting standard of highly coordinated, compassionate, and dedicated patient care. The expertise of the practitioners at the Department of Surgery, is based upon a track record of excellence in experimental and surgical excellence, make it possible for us to maintain our position at the forefront of imaging applications, surgical techniques, risk stratification, diagnostic and therapies.|
- Laura Mezzanotte is an assistant professor of optical molecular imaging at the Erasmus Medical Center. She is an expert in bioluminescence and imaging applied to drug discovery and development for cancer treatment.
- Clemens Löwik is full professor of Optical molecular imaging and his research lines include the development of new "smart" gene reporters and nanoparticles for optical imaging and multi-modality imaging.
Key facilities and infrastructure
- Small animal housing, small animal imaging facilities, molecular biology labs and equipment including human surgical and imaging facilities. Items: The group has fully equipped labs for high resolution CT, ultrasound and non-invasive optical imaging. Full complement of tissue culture, molecular imaging and assay development labs. Mouse models including the KPC transgenic mouse model and orthotopic in vivo transplanted cancer models.
Previous involvement in Research and Training Programmes
- 2000 EC FP5: Research Training Network; Neuronal Calcium channels in human disease,
- 2004 EC FP6: Lifesciences, Genomics & Biotechnology for Health,
- 2004 EC FP6: STREP; Migraine genes and neurobiological pathways (EUROHEAD),
- 2004 EC FP6: European Molecular Imaging Labs (EMIL),
- 2005 EC FP6: European network for research on Alternating Hemiplegia in Childhood for promoting SMEs integration
- 2007 EC FP7: Diagnostic Molecular Imaging (DIMI),
- 2008 EC FP7 European network for rare neurological diseases (nEUroped),
- 2008 EU FP7: Targeting LRP5 to increase bone formation in osteoporosis,
- 2008 EU FP7: European Network for Cell Imaging and Tracking Expertise,
- 2011 – 2014: Cancer Vaccine Tracking. Source: CTMM project. Acronym: CVT.,
- 2011 – 2014: Image-Guided And / Or Targeted Photodynamic Therapy Using A Combination Of A New Photosensitiser With Upconverting Nanoparticles.
Current Involvement in Research and Training Programmes
- H2020 MSCN ITN 2015-2019 ISPIC - Image-Guided Surgery (IGS) and Personalised Postoperative Immunotherapy To Improving Cancer Outcome
- EU-FP7-RISE- 2014-2018 PRISAR - Preclinical Intraoperative Image-Guided Surgery and Postoperative Radiotherapy of Tumours
- Erdmann JI, et al.: HPB (Oxford). (2015),
- Uitdehaag MJ, et al.: Gastroenterol Nurs. (2015),
- De Rooij T, et al.: J Am Coll Surg (2015),
- Ali UA, et al.: Pancreatology. (2015),
- Booy S, et al.: Pancreas. (2015),
- Erdmann JI, et al.: Ann Surg Oncol. (2014),
- Booy S, et al.: J Interferon Cytokine Res. (2014);
- Kleinovink JW et al. : Clin cancer res.(2015);
- Kraan H et al.: Vaccine (2015);
- Rosalia RA et al.: Biomaterials (2015);
- Rahimian S et al.: Biomaterials (2015).
Overview of all participants ...